Friday, 5 September 2008
Just finished this commission piece last night so I thought I would share it here. My painting is pretty rusty at the moment so it was far more of a struggle than it should have been - I got the colour scheme nailed down very quickly, but the execution gave me some problems!
I wanted something a little more subtle and tasteful than the normal Harlequin coloul schemes - and I figures as this was called a 'Shadow'seer, the colors should at least reflect that. One of the early versions had runic designs down the light green strips of fabric on either side of the legs - in fact two of the earlier versions did, I ended up re-painting them as I was unhappy with the execution before scrapping the idea and painting over them completely. I just thought the designs interfered with the flow of the miniature - sounds a bit arty I know, but I think there is so much going on with the design and detail of the miniature itself, that too much free-hand just creates visual confusion.
I'm pretty happy with the finished result - I really like the new Harlequins (I've always been a sucker for Eldar) and this is the second one I've painted.
I've got a few things on the go at present - but a vignette of Grand Master Azrael is top of the list, so hopefully I'll get that finished soon and share it here.
Posted by StudioMcVey at 05:32