Saturday 18 July 2009

Raven Priest concept art

I thought I would just write a quick blog post to cover some of the questions we have been asked since we launched the miniatures line - and take the opportunity to share the concept art for The Raven Priest - which is by Christophe Madura.

Several people have asked if there is going to be any theme to the Studio McVey miniatures line - and the simple answer is "no, not really". The only theme we are going to have is keeping the quality of everything we do as high as possible. Our aim when we started doing this, was to produce a line miniatures that we would really want to paint - and do it as well as possible. That's why we chose resin to produce them in - I was sick of seeing miniatures I liked the look of, then being really disappointed when I saw the castings. I have been working with metal miniatures for well over 20 years, and I know what happens to a sculpt in the production process - squeezing, shrinking, loss of detail and surface texture are all considered the norm for metal miniatures. When I compare a metal casting to the resins we have of the Raven Priest - well, there really is no comparison, they are as close to the original sculpt as it's possible to get...

There are drawbacks with resin of course - they are more fragile than metal miniatures, but we are primarily aiming these miniatures at collectors and painters. Good quality resin is also more expensive to produce (we pay around three times as much for a casting, than if it was in metal) - but the quality more than makes up for it.

We don't have a firm schedule for the expansion of the range - but we plan to be adding new miniatures on a pretty regular basis from now on. I'll be posting new concept art, and sneak peaks at future releases here - so keep checking back.

Ali and I also plan to write some articles about painting and modelling Studio McVey miniatures - in fact the first one will be up on the blog early next week. We are going to do a complete walk through of assembling and painting the Raven Priest - but with Ali and I talking it in turns to work on different aspects of the miniature.

cheers!

mike

1 comment:

Dragonforge said...

Looks cool Mike, glad to hear your doing something for you finally and not being a slave to "The Man" :)

I look forward to seeing how the line expands.

Jeff