Thursday 13 August 2009

Skarsnik and Gobbla
















Just finished this for a commission. I really enjoyed painting Gobbla - it was fun to experiment with some colours you wouldn't usually think of for this miniature. I decided early on I didn't want to paint him red, then I saw this squig by Sebastian Archer (definitely one of my favourite painters) and thought a pale colour scheme would create a strong contrast with the darker main figure. I'm happy with the way he came out - I think he looks quite striking. I would have liked to do something a little more inventive with the base - but he comes on a pre-cast base and the client wanted him for gaming, so my hands were a little tied.

5 comments:

Paul Chana said...

Awsome work as always Mike. The lighter colour on the Squid looks both distinctive, cool and more "realistic" (if thats the right word for a fantasy creature!). It always looked a little odd to me that squigs were bright red, your fleshy pink colour looks much more as i imagine they would look.

Keep up the great work

R Singers said...

When I finally get around to painting my squigs, I plan to do them like Goldfish. Just like the sort of managed tanks you see at Doctors offices with plan goldfish, blackmoors, and shubunkins.

zealot said...

Great stuff. The flesh tones are beautiful and the overrall contrast is very on point.

Ian Westrip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ian Westrip said...

Bloody fantastic!! Skarsnik and Gobbla was the reason I originally started a Night Gobbo army way back in the day. The new model is simply divine and I think you totally just reinvented it.. Brilliant!!